This was not the original post planned for today but it is the one I have to write. Last night I was up late waiting for the husband to get home when I came across this post. I was in total shock when I read it.
I know when I start reading someone’s blog I just feel like I know that person. That they are my friend. You are with them through the good times and the bad times. Well Susan is one of those bloggers who I’ve actually met and we need to be there for her in one of those bad times.
Whether you are a blogger, an active reader or you just stumbled across my blog, I’m hoping that you can show her some love. She will need all the love and support we can give her now. Please spread the love…
So if you’ve read the last couple of posts you’ve been expecting an exciting announcement coming your way.
We (the husband and I) are going on a vacation and not just anywhere:
NEW YORK CITY!!!
I know that not might be so exciting for some of you but for us (and me) it kinda a big deal. First of all we haven’t been on a vacation in years and second I’ve been dreaming about going to New York forever. The lights, the excitement and of course the city itself.
We are going for 5 days the week before Christmas then traveling back to Halifax for 8 days between Christmas and New Years. I know some of you might think we’re crazy to travel so close to Christmas but since we already have to travel during Christmas, why not?
I’ve grown up watching movies take place in New York over Christmas and have probably wanted to go since Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.
You all must remember:
When Harry Met Sally
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
I could continue for hours. My husband blames romantic comedies of the 80’s and 90’s for my love affair with New York at Christmas.
We bought our plane tickets a few days ago and now we are just deciding on a hotel . I’m a little confused on that one. We don’t want to spend too much money on it since we will really just be sleeping there but I’m just nervous about all the independent and boutique hotels in the city. How do I know which ones are good. If you have any suggestions for me it would be greatly appreciated.
So now the countdown is on: T-minus 6 months.
After complaining yesterday about the crappy weather here it warmed up today and was beautiful. Sunny and +23. It’s probably the nicest day we’ve had so far this year and it doesn’t seem to stop. Tomorrow it suppose to be +28 and on Thursday +24. Tough to complain about that.
Also, remember I said I only had today and a 1/2 day next week and then I was done for the year. Again, not true. I finished my day of teaching today but now I have a full day Friday but off on Monday. Looking forward to be on summer vacation at the end of the week.
Finally, yesterday when I mentioned that I had been rocking the gym lately. That part is very true but what else is true is that my eating has been horrible lately. I’ve only been cooking at home 2-3 times a week and food lately has consisted of eating at restaurants with friends, fast food, Thai, Chinese and Subway (I know not that bad but not good for my bank account either). This has been going on for the past 3-4 weeks and I really need to kick these habits.
Even with this crappy eating I’ve been able to lose about 7 lbs over the past 3 weeks or so from all the trips to the gym. Can you imagine how it would go if I could clean up my eating?
My plan is pretty simple. Start cooking at home. When I cook at home I’m much more likely to eat better and healthier. I really enjoy cooking but I’ve just been so busy lately I haven’t made it a priority and that needs to change. I’ll try to start blogging more meals and hopefully that will help to keep me on track.
Right now my gym routine has looked like this:
- Monday – weights in the morning, run on the track with the husband in the evening.
- Tuesday – cardio in the morning
- Wednesday – weights in the morning, run on the track with the husband in the evening
- Thursday – cardio in the morning
- Friday – cardio (usually running intervals on the treadmill) and weights
- Saturday – run or swim or rest day depending on other plans
- Sunday – hour of tennis with the husband in the morning
This has been the current schedule but with teaching done I might mix things up a little bit. I’ll keep you up to date on my current schedule.
I also started back at yoga last week. So far I went Thursday and Friday last week and today. I also plan on going tomorrow and Thursday. Once teaching is done this week my plan is to go either Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday or Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I’ll have to see once I get into a routine.
I’m really happy to be back at yoga but I forgot how hard it is and how much work it actually is.
Don’t get me wrong – I love it but my body is paying for not doing it for the last 8 months. As I sit here typing this post my legs are reeling from my class a couple of hours ago.
Don’t forget to check back tomorrow when I will have some exciting new to share with you.
After being MIA for a while things are started to slow down so I’ve made it a priority to get back to blogging.
Here are some things that have been going on lately:
- Summer still isn’t here in Calgary. I keep reading on other blogs, twitter, facebook, etc about how beautiful it it everywhere. Not here. Rain, rain, rain! That’s all we’ve had. There’s mumblings that its going to warm up and be sunny later on this week but I’m not getting too excited yet. I’ll have to wait and see.
- I’m only a day and a half away from summer vacation. I have a full day of exam supervision tomorrow and a half day next Monday. Other then that I’m done. I can not wait for some relaxation. I have been super busy that last few months and the end of the month can’t come soon enough.
- I have been rockin’ the gym lately. I also started back at yoga.
- The husband leaves in less then two weeks for a week long conference. That means I’ll be home alone for the first time really since moving here. I have lots of fun eats planned for when he’s gone.
- I’ve been obsessed with instagram on my iphone lately. I know lots of people discovered this app a long time ago but I just found it and love it. I’ll definitely be sharing some pictures from it soon.
- I’m also currently obsessed with Lululemon. Doesn’t matter what it is. Their jackets, pants, shirts, bags, headbands. I have a list a mile long of stuff I want to pick up from there.
- I just started the book, The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I’m only a couple of pages in and I’m already hooked.
I guess that’s it for now. I have a few good posts planned for this week including:
- A discussion on my gym plan and healthy eating
- Some beautiful pictures of my trip to Kananaskis last month
- And stay tuned for a big announcement (for me) on Wednesday or Thursday.
Usually on my way to work in the morning I stop at Starbucks and pick up a passion tea (hot or iced depending on the weather. Today was different. A grande, non-fat, vanilla latte was in order.
Now I feel like I can function again.
Have a great day!!!
The sun is shinning, it’s finally warming up outside and I’m counting down the days until summer vacation.
All of this is starting to make me think of some of the books I want to read over the summer.
Over the past few weeks I’ve picked up the following books:
- Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi (finished – review to come soon)
- Mommywood by Tori Spelling (currently reading)
- The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larrson
I do have a few other books I have in mind picking up and reading over the summer. They include:
- Uncharted TerriTORI by Tori Spelling
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
- Does the Noise in my Head bother You by Steven Tyler
- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
- The Hunger Games books by Suzanne Collins
- The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Stieg Larrson
- Heart of the Matter by Emily Griffin
- Mini Shopaholic and Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsell
- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
- Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (although since the scandal broke about this book I’m now a little hesitant)
And of course there are a couple of blog authors out there who’s books I’d love to read:
- Operation Beautiful by Caitlin Boyle
- Carrot’s ‘N Cake by Christina Haupert
- Peas and Thank You by Sarah Matheny
- What I Wore by Jessica Quirk
As you can tell there are a lot of books on my list but here’s where I need you! Do you have any books you recommend. As you can tell I really enjoy many different types of books and looking for some great light (and maybe not so light) summer reads.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great appreciated.
I’m a little behind but I just wanted to send a “Happy Mother’s Day” out there to my mom, my step-mom, my mother-in-law and all the other moms out there!
I hope you all had a wonderful day and were spoiled by your husband/daughter/son/etc.
What says Mother’s Day more then flowers?
And of course a little kitty love!
Since our moms are on the other side of the country we mailed our cards (with gift cards) last week to make sure our mom’s got them in time.
Unfortunately, one one of the three got their cards on time but hopefully the rest arrived today.
I hope all the moms out there had a great day!